For Your Daily Dose of MbA

Microblog on Facebook so follow today :)



AMASHIWI

"Culture is the heritage of us all. some may be more interested than others in the treasures of the past, but no one can fail to take a pride in his country's participation in the story of mankind, as represented in carvings, sculpture, music, paintings and the other arts. And there is a personal commitment to this, for no man can really say he is alone: we are all joined through our identity, with the cultures which are part of the mainstream of life"
- Simon Kapwepwe, Zambian Independence Freedom Fighter

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

"Try to be the rainbow in someone else's cloud" - Maya Angelou

"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinion drown out your inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition" - Steve Jobs








Saturday 28 May 2011

One Year of Mwana Ba Afrika :)

Can't believe that I wrote my first post just over a year ago! How time flies... This blog has brought me more satisfaction and a sense of purpose than I could have imagined :))))))))))!  Being able to put down my thoughts, work through my nervous condition (an inherent feature of my Afropolitaness) and explore my African identity concurrently with the continent's has been the most fulfilling experience of my twenties.  I pray that it continues to feed my soul and energise my spirit :).

I already created a 2010 Top 10 Posts list.  Here are 5 more posts from 2011 that I think are worth reading if you have not already:

Afropolitan African Delicacy
The Global Fund - A Victim of it's Own Transparency?
Innocent Mugabe
(Re)Branding Africa
Only Human (and That is Enough)

I think the most profound and also unexpectedly comforting thing I have learned in 2011, of which I spent the first 3 months in Europe, is that you can find the motherland in the most unexpected places.  Africa and it's peoples are everywhere and we have an impact that we have yet to exploit to its fullest potential.  To illustrate this point I end with a picture of me in Liechtenstein (don't ask me how I ended up there ;}) posing with a sculpture inspired by the motherland entitled African King:


 Here's to another year of exploration and silliness ;}

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to MBA, and good to see you back! To another year :)

    It is indeed amazing how Africa shows up everywhere. Africa is not just a location but a state of mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you fr your continued support, I greatly appreciate it :)

    Amen to Africa being a state of mind that can be accessed anywhere, anytime. Wouldn't travel if that wasn't the case!

    ReplyDelete