For Your Daily Dose of MbA

Microblog on Facebook so follow today :)



AMASHIWI

"Culture is the heritage of us all. some may be more interested than others in the treasures of the past, but no one can fail to take a pride in his country's participation in the story of mankind, as represented in carvings, sculpture, music, paintings and the other arts. And there is a personal commitment to this, for no man can really say he is alone: we are all joined through our identity, with the cultures which are part of the mainstream of life"
- Simon Kapwepwe, Zambian Independence Freedom Fighter

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchill

"Try to be the rainbow in someone else's cloud" - Maya Angelou

"Your time is limited so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinion drown out your inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition" - Steve Jobs








Sunday 2 January 2011

Resolution Time

I am not one for formalising New Year's resolutions but I have decided to live dangerously in 2011. I have discussed trying to be the person you want to be in this world that seems to be allergic to the young, eager and passionate. 2010 was a rather strange one for me. I have gone through a lot of change but have not really been steering the raft that I am on. I am not even sure whch waters I am travelling. However that doesn't mean that my journey has not been enlightening. I may be a peripatetic destined to outdo the masaai with my crazy nomadic lifestyle but I am determined to roam this earth with purpose,happiness and effectiveness.

One of my flaws is inertia.  I challenge people to be the best they can be while I cower in the corner gripped by the fear of failiure when it comes to endeavouring to realise my passions all the while appearing to be in control and productive because I dream big. This seems like I am stating an oxymoron rather than confessing. I am doing both it would seem. Starting this blog was the best thing I did in 2010 as it forced me to confront myself. In having an open conversation about my passions, frustrations and fears in the ether I have exposed myself by shining a light into that corner. It has empowered me to take the bold steps I need to take to be the person I am screaming to be.

2011 is all about taking those steps. To not be gripped by the fear of being a good African child and play it safe and do what needs to be done in an invisible manner. To not worry about what people may sayabout the  unorthrodox choices I as an African woman have been champing at the bit to take. You only live life once so you'd better live it the way you want right? There is no such thing as the African woman. There are only African women. And I plan to be one that lives on her own terms, that grows and loves and contributes positively to her family, friends and community. Most importantly, one who is able to look in the mirror without regret. I may have detoured but if I commit to sticking to the path in 2011 then 2010 will have more meaning. And I will be able to do the things I need to do and my life will have an impact rather than only  serving  to merely confirm my existence.

I am glad that I ended the year at home. The temperature is not to cold, like Switzerland, and not too hot like when I left a couple of months ago, just perfect :)!  I have been able to reflect on the year and regenerate to make the necessary steps to be whole again. I have also thought about replacing Goldilocks that's how perfect the weather has been he he he. I have not followed MRS ANTELOPE's advice as much as I should and have let others take my peace.  TMINI MI has this quote at the bottom of her email that I have always read but has never really resonated with me until now:


A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.


The source may be unknown but the person who came up with this was able to encapsulate such a profound concept in such a simplistic and succinct fashion! Hence the new Amashibi - this quote is right on the money for what 2011 is to be for me and of course you can join in and make your 2011 awesome possum too :) . 

Happy New Year once again! As a realistic optimist I am commited to continuing to dream but I don't expect to have everything fall into place. But I do expect my life to change for the better. I never expect anything
less. It's the only way to keep trying...

4 comments:

  1. So i typed up a decently long comment when i first read this a few hours ago, and then the wireless network i was stealing went off and stole my comment in revenge!

    In summary, just wanted to let you know that your ability to dream big regardless of what the rest of the world thinks is a huge inspiration to me. Keep dreaming dear, and this year, you'll live out more than you can dream. Here's to a year of high impact, living your dreams and knowing thyself (and maker) better. Love you lots doowop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love! I have dared to dream. Let's see what happens. And I wish the same for you in 2011 because you deserve it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give pretty good advice to the wonderful people around me, but like you, I sometimes not move forward with my true passion and interests for fear of failing as well as fear of displeasing others. So, I am championing your forward movement for 2011. When you look back 40 years from now, you want to say that you gave it your all. You followed your passion. You created your own path.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Diane, I hope that you will do the same and champion your own 2011 too! When I look back in 40 I'll have evidence in the form of this blog to hold me accountable, which is scary but exciting at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete